Pages

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Dad's Birthday

 My Dad celebrated his 53rd birthday last week...Happy Birthday again, Dad!  And his absolute favorite dessert is Banana Caramel Pie.  My cousin made it on a whim one year and he fell, hard, in love :) Since then I have taken over the pie making duties and this year was no different.  I had every intention on taking pictures of my ingredients and step by step process, but I forgot :-/  So I will give you a run down of everything using google images!

Ingredients:
Pie crust - I go the easy route and use the premade ones
 
2-3 bananas

Can of sweetened condensed milk

Cool whip


2 heath bars


Directions:
1. Boil a pot of water.
2. Remove the label from the can of sweetened condensed milk and boil in pot for 3 hours.  Continue to keep an eye on the water level and make sure there is always enough water in the pot to completely cover the can.  Once can is "cooked" let the can sit and cool for about an hour or so.
3. Slice the bananas and lay in the bottom of your pie crust.
4. Your cooked can has turned into creamy dulce de leche, pour on top of your bananas.
5. Top your bananas and dulce de leche (caramel) with cool whip.
6. Crush heath bar bits onto your cool whip and refrigerate.

And for the final product, which I didn't forget to take pictures of.....

mmmm...i love heath bar


And there you have it!  I also made 6 mini pies this year for Clayton and he has requested that this be his birthday tradition also!  I've heard it is a great tasting pie although I will never know thanks to a banana allergy.  Has anyone else ever had "cooked can" dulce de leche?  I thought my cousin was crazy when she told me about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...